PROFESSIONAL SKILLS SUMMARY
LEADERSHIP – Led of teams consisting of up to 25 global professionals work to deliver successful business outcomes using continuous improvement and results-oriented approaches.
TEACHING – Designed curriculum for 3 applied entrepreneurial skill development courses, and delivered courses to over 180 post-secondary and continuing education students in Alberta.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT – managed over 25 global software and IT projects with budgets between $100k and $2.0m, while coordinating with stakeholders in a multinational organization.
INNOVATE CALGARY, Calgary, AB 2014 – Present
Support and coach early and mid-phase entrepreneurs launching technology-enabled, high-growth ventures in Calgary area. Consulted and educated over 52 clients in various industries, such as health tech, cybersecurity, and multi-sided marketplaces.
- Designed curriculum for Startup Primer, Discover, and Validate courses, teaching customer discovery, Minimum Viable Product development, and business model development.
- Instructed seven courses to 180 individuals and students from the University of Calgary, University of Lethbridge, and Lethbridge College, and received high satisfaction scores.
- Founded and managed the TELUS Technology Accelerator, resulting in one potential acquisition, expansion to new south-east Asia market, and a 300% increase in sales.
- Coached six Engineering Capstone teams from the Schulich School of Engineering and over 24 Summer Incubator teams from the Hunter Centre for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, improving their product designs and business models based on primary customer research.
- Implemented and facilitated weekly team scrum/huddle meetings to identify roadblocks affecting team performance and take action to eliminate them.
SHELL CANADA, Calgary, AB 2005 – 2016
Senior IT Project Manager 2010 – 2016
Managed projects to demonstrate and evaluate innovative cloud and mobile software. Led global development teams to build custom mobile apps to streamline industrial operations by providing workers access to data and work processes while in the field.
- Developed a custom integration between smart glasses and enterprise video conferencing software, providing real-time geological analysis between remote drilling teams with lab-based expert geologists.
- Built a custom mobile app for gas plant workers to interact with electronic work permits, which reduced labour costs at one plant by over $1.5m/year while increasing work permit compliance and site safety.
- Deployed CoreSight, a mobile app that allows workers and site leaders to access production data from their mobile devices, reducing time required for troubleshooting equipment issues.
- Developed a mobile app that allows lubricant plant supervisors to access inventory and shipment data on a mobile device, increasing time supervisors spent on the floor by 25% and improving site safety.
IT Project Manager 2005 – 2010
Managed IT project delivery for Shell’s retail and oil sands businesses. Implemented systems to improve reliability of business systems serving nearly 1,000 retail fuel stations. Led a two-year $2.0m program to improve safety, security, and environmental compliance at the Albian Oil Sands Mines.
- Deployed and integrated the EQuIS environmental data management software, with the GeoCortex mapping software, allowing environmental teams at to better forecast impact of mine operations.
- Implemented MineCare, a system to analyze health data from heavy mine equipment in real-time, reducing unplanned downtime and maintenance costs by over 30%.
- Developed custom software to settle more than $1.0m daily food store sales at nearly 1000 Shell fuel stations, improving system reliability and reducing IT operations cost.
- Deployed 2 new fuel pricing systems to support over 800 company-owned and dealer-owned retail fuel stations in Canada, enabling retail business to react faster to competitor price changes.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
Master of Business Administration
University of Calgary, 2011-2013 Concentration in Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Project Management Professional (PMP)
Project Management Institute, 2010
Bachelor of Science (Computer Science) with Distinction
University of Regina, 2000-2005
- Pitchko, J.(2015) MobilePlan: How to prepare for an enterprise mobile app project PMI Network. 29:7
- Pitchko, J. (2014) Huddle Up: Tailor stand-up meetings to clear communications hurdles between program and project managers PMI Network. 28:2